Midas' Touch


why a solo release, aren't you guys a duo?

I realized that I had to hold my weight when it came to making music. So I decided to do my own solo project so that we (AzuRho) KNOW we can hold our weight on our own before working together. It's a sign of my dedication to making music.

This was more of a "get-a-solo-release-over-with" release. It was designed to be a demo; to showcase my ability, knowing what I'm good at, what I'm NOT good at, building a story with just instrumentals etc. 

why the name Midas' Touch?

Shoutout Addy (@9addys) for the inspiration, I was looking through his works and he had a particular artwork called "midas touch" and I was like "that's the term I'm looking for". So I asked permission to use one of his artworks as a cover for this particular mixtape/EP.

why 2 sides? couldn't one side work just fine?

The Prelude: (link) was just a random drop. I needed to drop all the music I made off. Most of those beats on this mixtape were too... performative. I knew it wasn't coming from the right place - it was mainly monetary and just to show others I'm very capable.

Midas' Touch: This right here? I curated it properly. There's a 'motif' within the samples if you can catch 'em. This NEEDED to be shown to the world. I felt it.

things some of y'all caught on to + things most didn't catch

  1. The tracklist actually forms a statement that coincides with the moral of King Midas and the Golden Touch: 
    • A wish will come true - it becomes reality, so be eager (however) don't be conceited. (Because) gold isn't everything. Expression (of self) (is), so be content (with expressing yourself and your wishes).
  2. "IT BECOMES REALITY" is the only track that has the vocal cut "Midas Touch". Since that's the recurring theme of the entire tape; It IS the reality.
  3. I think the storyline transition into "DON'T BE CONCEITED" was obvious. But the ONE thing most people didn't catch was the end sample "birds sing out of tune" transitions into the next song. Because when you're overly conceited, you sense of self enables you to see everything out of tune.
  4. In "SO BE CONTENT" I sample a vocal repeating "Your Smile" as a response to the former title name "Expression (Is)" because your smile is a clear expression of your contentness. But also mid-way through the track, I added a storyline excerpt about King Midas not being happy with what he had. The title serves as a response to his unhappiness. Be content.

final words about Midas' Touch

I'm so proud of myself that I actually decided to put this out. I honestly made this in a span of a few days just so I could rid myself of perfection paralysis.

I want to give a huge THANK U to everyone who decided to watch, those who texted me right after the release to tell me how they liked it. I'm honestly super honored to have people who've known me outside of producing to get an insight into my inner world.

And HUGE shoutout to Chukwudum, he's the first person I showed the full project to. And when he told me he noticed the motif, it was confirmation people would be able to catch on, and that I had something srsssssss in my hands.The outer pressures and fears of actually wanting to make AzuRho successful translated into this project quite well too! I wouldn't lie I'm still excited of what AzuRho holds.

This is literally just the beginning.

Rhoro.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BTB: Ralph Lauren Ties

Care 4 Urself.