Shaun Martin (A Tribute)
So it's approaching about 2 years without the late, great Shaun Martin.
Most people don't really know about him and his impact on gospel music as a whole. So all I'll say is, if you listened to Kirk Franklin's music. You've heard Shaun Martin. He was a composer, pianist, and arranger of a good portion of early 2000s black gospel music. Here are some of my favorites.
the list (in no particular order):
- Kim Burrell - Anything: I've been revisiting this particular album recent. And man, if you actually watched the VHS live recording. You can see a young Shaun Martin acting a fool with the circus riff, it's so hilarious you can tell EVERYONE was genuinely embarrassed by the riff bro.😭😭😭
- Kim Burrell - Calvary: So a little personal story about this, when I was in the last semester of 12th grade. I was taking this INFAMOUS math class. And I needed it to get into University because I fumbled most of my classes. I remember struggling so bad in this class. Spring comes along, so I go through Kim Burrell's albums during one of my study breaks. And I find this BANGER. I played it all through the spring of that year, and now it's one of my Easter go-to songs. And here, I didn't know Shaun was playing the keys/organ on this until several months after his death. So there's an added level of grief knowing I couldn't really give him the credit while he was still alive.
- Kirk Franklin - Imagine Me: My first introduction to the "LTD - Stranger" riff (some of y'all know it as the R. Kelly riff... for reasons I need not explain, I will not be referring it as that). But this is actually such a mood booster of a song. Shaun Martin was going dummy on that piano on the original record, this is the only part of the record where I can really hear his sound shine through.
- Kirk Franklin - Brighter Day: Still so trippy that he was on keys for the WHOLE record (due to it being a live record), I was hesitant on putting 'Hosanna' or 'He Reigns' on the list. But my goodness he was FLOATING on the clavinet and synths bro. I chose this song here in particular for nostalgia purposes.
- Shaun Martin - Madiba: This was the first record I played when I first he died, the introductory speech is honestly gut-wrenching. I can only hope he knew (and knows, somewhere in the afterlife) how much his music changed and influenced music + black art as we know it. I first heard this after going about a few weeks listening to CCM, and my goodness it was SO refreshing (no hate to CCM, it just doesn't have the soul I need to be able to listen to it). I listened to it so much on the way to work! I still love it so much. I want to visit South Africa one day and play this.
- Shaun Martin - Yellow Jacket: Just a song that sounds like sunshine and rainbows man, that melody is a haunting one, beautiful composition.😭
honorable mentions:
- Shaun Martin ft. Nikki Ross - Have Your Chance At Love
- Blaque Dynamite ft. Shaun Martin - Superman
- Kirk Franklin - The Storm Is Over Now
- Is it even a Shaun Martin tribute if I didn't bring this classic reaction out?
- Mind you, in spite of Cory's wild solo on here, I'm a firm believer that this was the highlight of the solo. Those chords man.
All in all, RIP Shaun Martin. You were one of the musical architects of my childhood, teenage, and young adult years. Godspeed.
Comments
Post a Comment